People dating inmates
Brown, the medical officer and his very intelligent assistant.
The official return states that each ward contains almost 500 cubic feet to each bed; but we doubt this statement from our measurement.
The south front consists of low buildings, which are used for offices; it dates from 1782, with additions made in 18.
The house is a brick structure of three storeys, forming three-fourths of a square.Towels were in abundance; but the custom amongst the women, not amongst the men, was to wash in the "chamber"—a habit so inveterate that no threats avail to stop it.Air-cushions and macintoshes were found in abundance in the wards, and regularly used.A new building in Mint Street, probably on the same site, was erected in 1782.Its location is shown on the 1872 map below, by which time it had been taken over by St Saviour's Poor Law Union.